Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Proscuitto Pita-Panini

Lunch is one of the meals that I missed the most while I was away at school. The options at my cafeteria left a lot to be desired: chicken noodle soup, french fries, and the mysterious "double-happiness pasta." This left salad or a slimy ham sandwich as the daily choice.

I prefer to eat a light lunch that gives me that needed burst of energy without making me feel so stuffed that I need to take a nap. This recipe combines two of my personal favorites - pita bread and panini. It takes only a few minutes longer to make than a cold sandwich but so much more satisfying. Trust me.




Prosciutto Pita-Panini
  • 1 red pepper
  • a few slices prosciutto (available at any Italian or specialty grocer) 
  • 1 piece of pita bread (preferably the kind that open into a pocket)
  • butter
  • cheese! I used a shredded blend called quattro formaggio from Trader Joes which includes parmesan, asiago, fontina and provolone cheeses. Any combination of those would work, or on their own. Use 1 slice (half slices if you are mixing cheeses) or a hearty handful of shredded. 
Turn on panini maker/press or heat skillet pan over medium heat. Butter both sides of pita. Stuff inside of pita with slices of prosciutto, half of the red pepper slices (save the other half for another sandwich or a healthy snack), and cheese. When press or pan is hot enough, carefully place sandwich. Cook until the pita is slightly brown, about 2 min. Transfer to plate and eat while still hot. 

In the photo above I have sliced up a fresh cucumber, but apple slices are also a delicious side, complementing the cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment