Thursday, June 21, 2012

Mini French Toast

First off, I apologize for my disappearance from the blogging world. School took over my life, leaving my with very time little for anything that was not school-related. The good news is my summer "resolution" is to actually post on this blog :)

For Father's Day I wanted to make something fun for breakfast that wasn't too time-consuming. One of the best things about working at a grocery store is always being there for good deals, and I was able to snag a day old loaf of a specialty cinnamon bread. I was originally just going to put it in the toaster and add cream cheese (a delicious option by the way) BUT I decided to be brave.

French toast is the perfect recipe for any sort of day old bread because you want it to be firm enough to absorb the batter without turning into a gooey mass. I liked the way I was able to fit 5-6 pieces of the mini-toast on the skillet at the same time. The size would also be perfect for smaller children.

Traditionally, French toast is served with maple syrup but since I used cinnamon bread, I wanted to balance out the sweetness that was already there. Instead, I choose blueberry syrup which added the perfect amount of tart. The end result was similar to placing a bag of chips in front of my family - bet you can't eat just one!

No comments:

Post a Comment