Friday, March 16, 2012

You say tomato, I say tomato

After my last post about biscotti, I realized that I failed to mention an important detail - how to pronounce them. I try not to be a language snob, you know the ones who turned up their noses and correct you with an overly dramatic accent. There are, however, a few things that sound like nails on a chalkboard to me, and the way 95% of people pronounce biscotti is one of them. Growing up with an Italian mom, I was taught they are pronounced biz-co-tee (the key is the long 'o'). You can also listen to audio pronunciation in both male and female here. After looking online, there seems to be a slight variation called biscotto, and here the first 'o' short and the second is long. That concludes this portion of language lessons! Now you can impress your friends and family with homemade biscotti AND an accent that even Mario Batali would approve of.

No comments:

Post a Comment