Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Lemon Raspberry Breakfast Cake







One of the great things about being an adult is getting to eat what you want, when you want. In my opinion pancakes taste just as good when when the sun is setting as they do first thing in the morning. It's 10am and you want a Chipotle burrito? Go for it. 7pm and the only thing you have is ice cream in the freezer? Done. However, if I had to choose a favorite meal time mix up it would be cake for breakfast. It probably has to do with my attempts to eat healthy so starting my day with something sweet still feels like a rebellious treat.

I found this recipe while reading Bon Appetit last week and was immediately interested after seeing one of the main ingredients was olive oil. Although the magazine categorizes it as a cake, I left out lemon glaze to cut down on the sweetness making it a perfect for an early morning treat.


The other thing about this cake is that is easy. I know this because I made it into the oven and cleaned up in under 45 minutes. Normally I choose my afternoons off to bake for this blog, picking up ingredients beforehand, leaving me with several hours to bake, clean, photograph, ect. This time I went out the day of to buy fresh raspberries only to come home and find out that my parents were having company for dinner. Rather than abandon my recipe for another day like a rational person, I choose the challenge route and decided to literally make a cake faster than I ever had. It was either going to be delicious or a disaster.

The picture below accurately shows the state of chaos my kitchen was in, plus me running back and forth (and this was only one countertop).


Final result was a success, the cake was moist and heavy from the olive oil (I used extra virgin olive oil to keep the flavors simple) similar to a loaf cake but with a fresh, slightly sweet taste thanks to fresh lemon zest and raspberries with a nice crunch from the pistachios. Equally good warm from the oven or room temperature the next morning with coffee. You can guess which way I prefer :) 







No comments:

Post a Comment